While vitamins and minerals are important, they only make up 1.5% of dry body weight. You need the right vitamins and minerals, but if your amino acids are out of balance, you will not be healthy.
- All protein, 100%, is made up of amino acids... and proteins regulate nearly every biochemical reaction in the body.
- Amino acids account for 75% of dry body weight (total weight minus water weight).
- 100% of neurotransmitters, such as norepinephrine, serotonin, GABA, acetylcholine, aspartate, glutamate, are made of amino acids.
- 100% of hormones are made up of amino acids. Sex hormones are made up of amino acids plus fat or lipids.
- 100% of neuropeptides, the substances the brain releases with every thought, are amino acids.
- 100% of peptides are made up of amino acids.
- 95% of muscle is made up of amino acids.
- 95% of the heart is made up of amino acids.
- There are approximately 1,000 different kinds of "information molecules" according to Candace Pert, Ph.D., the discoverer of the opiate receptor as well as the most promising treatment on the horizon for AIDS, namely Peptide-T. Peptide, a string of 6 amino acids.
- RNA and DNA require amino acids. In other words, amino acids are necessary for our genes to function properly.
Glucose and oxygen are the primary fuels for the Amino Acid Miracle that we are.
Given these numbers, do you think that amino acids might have something to do with health, illness . . . and recovery?